Created by Kenny and Elle Campbell of SHINE! Middle School Ministry of The Chapel at CrossPoint in Getzville, NY.
Created by Kenny and Elle Campbell of SHINE! Middle School Ministry of The Chapel at CrossPoint in Getzville, NY. FILE TYPES: Editable in Microsoft Word and Pages, select files editable in Photoshop, plus PDF’s to view the finished products. For the last five years or so, our church has embraced the idea that we, as a church, need to partner with parents in order to make […]
Small Group Leader + Parent Breakfast Kit Free
An event kit with everything you'll need to host your own Small Group Leader + Parent Breakfast. Includes editable Word, Pages and PDF files.
FILE TYPES: Editable in Microsoft Word and Pages, select files editable in Photoshop, plus PDF’s to view the finished products.
For the last five years or so, our church has embraced the idea that we, as a church, need to partner with parents in order to make a lasting spiritual impact on students’ lives. But… we were a little stuck on how to actually put that idea into practice. We believed in it. We just weren’t sure how to translate it into our ministry context.
But we were determined to make this parent partnership thing happen so, a couple of years ago, we decided it was time to just try something.
Here’s what we came up with…
As we explain in the video, the feedback we received from this Breakfast (and from the Breakfasts we’ve had since then) really blew us away. We couldn’t believe the positive response we received, from both parents and Small Group Leaders. Parents jumped at the chance to talk to their kids’ Small Group Leaders. It refocused and reenergized our team and was the catalyst to beginning a huge wave of partnership and connection with parents.
The event itself was pretty straight-forward…
- We provided breakfast and set up a table for each of our Small Group Leaders and their students’ parents.
- We began the event with a short 5-minute introduction and time of vision-casting for the day.
- Everyone got a placemat that doubled as a fun “conversation-starter,” with silly questions, spiritual questions, personal questions, and questions that would spark conversation specifically about Small Group Leader and parent partnerships.
- Parents all received their Small Group Leader’s Profile card with their photo and contact information on it.
- We promoted the book Parenting Beyond Your Capacity, by Reggie Joiner & Carey Nieuwhof (which encourages parents to strategically partner with other believers to help them influence their kids), and provided a bunch of copies that parents could borrow.
- Parents received a feedback card, where they could share their thoughts and ideas.
And then, for a full hour (actually, more than that – it was hard to get people to go home!) parents and Small Group Leaders just… talked. They got to know each other. They talked about their kids. They brainstormed ways they could partner together. They planned get-togethers and service projects for their students. Parents shared their concerns and struggles. Small Group Leaders gained lots of valuable information about their students that they didn’t know before. And, at the end of the morning, both parents and Small Group Leaders saw what it could be like to work together for the sake of the kids they were both trying to influence.
Here’s what you’ll get in this FREE download…
- A detailed Event Guide that explains exactly what we did and how we did it.
- Parent Invitations and “How to Promote” Guides to help your Small Group Leaders get the word out to parents.
- A Registration template for tracking RSVP’s.
- Screen Graphics for the day of the event.
- Table Name Cards to display the names of your Small Group Leaders.
- Small Group Leader Discussion Guides.
- Placemats that double as conversation starters.
- Parent Feedback Cards.
- Small Group Leader Profile Cards.
- Flyers promoting Parenting Beyond Your Capacity.
Stuff You Can Use | Youth Ministry Resources
Sign Up To Receive Free Youth Ministry Resources!
And never miss a blog post from us again!
We hate spam just as much as you